Friday, October 2, 2015

It's not about the cup.

Cups have been a big theme lately in my daily card pulls, but the King of Cups is always a welcomed sight.  I think what appeals to me most is that he isn't looking at the cup; he's almost ignoring it. I also like the large, open hat. There's something so open (open-minded?) and free about it.  It speaks to me of possibility.   Is it possible to put our emotions aside and not be so burdened with them?  To not allow them from taking over everthing?  I think so.
So often we think that we aren't in contol of our emotions.  Indeed, a phrase like "an emotional rollercoaster" brings to mind something we can't control.  We're just along for the ride and have to endure the ups and downs.
The King of Cups tells me something different, namely, that my emotional response to the world isn't the meaning of the world.  I can deal with my emotions by asking myself why I feel x, or what might be another way I could look at x that would bring about a different, more mature and even authentic emotional response. Can I even take the emotion out of the situation and see it uncolored by my feelings?
Can we get better at this as we age?  I would like to think that my responses will continue to become more regal and not so self-absorbed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment