Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Happiness is...

Though many Tarot readers agree that the Nine of Cups speaks of the emotional aspect of life, they seem to go in many directions as to how to interpret this particular card. Certainly this speaks to me of highly emotional states.  And for me today (indeed these last few days) this rings very true.  However, I'm not ready to toss this card's meaning off with something so simple as "an abundance of joy" or "happiness in all of my relationships."  That might be a little simplistic. 

The Nines tell me to think about a culmination, arriving at an important stage or new perspective, an "ah ha!" moment.  And the leafy filigree running between the cups gives me this extra dimension.  I can't help but notice the wilting leaves of the bottom two rows:  dying off, mourning, nostalgia for what was.  But is this a bad thing?  I don't think so.  It's only by knowing what we have lost that we can see the beauty and joy in what is around us now.  We know that life is never just a joyful experience for anyone, so the happiness we do find is all the sweeter.  It's a more developed, complex, and mature way of looking at happiness.  

This new perspective makes us truly appreciate "the good life."  Indeed, we make our own "good life" through our perspective on things.  I think about how yesterday so many really good things happened, small things, but when added up made for a really beautiful day.  A student sent me a wonderful email as an introduction to herself and shared her appreciation for the help I had given.  As I was walking home, a stranger commented on what beautiful weather we were having and how lucky we were be out it in.  

Now it's time for me to think about how I add to the happiness of others.  There are nine cups.  I could be the one in the middle surrounded on all sides by family, friends, coworkers, students.  And strangers.  

In what areas of our lives can we find joy "right under our noses"?  What can we do that might create joy for others? We won't be oversimplistic.  We recognize that life can be rough.  But we also realize that we can be much more in charge of our happiness than we think.  What will we do today to make this new perpective a reality?  

No comments:

Post a Comment