Monday, August 24, 2015

Who's the boss?


Today's card, the King of Batons, has a huge field of meanings, many of which can be seen in the broader lights of leadership (kings) and action (wands), in other words, being in charge of one's will and the power it can wield.  No matter who we are, we exercise power over others:  politicians over citizens, parents over children, bosses over employees, teachers over students, and even in other spheres where "power" isn't so traditional:  a pet owner controls what happens to her companion animal, a gardener determines the fate of plants and animals in his garden.  

For me, today is the first day of class.  The King of Wands is a good reminder for me to think about what kind of relationship I will develop with my students.  How will I "reign" to enable students to achieve?  How will I avoid being a dictator?  How will I avoid the trap of doing things as I've always done them without applying some creativity, innovation, humanity, and humor into the class?  I'm taking this card with a bit of a warning as well:  be careful of abusing the power simply because I feel that my right to use it overrides the rights and dignity of others.

Wands are often associated with fire and the energy that comes from it.  I need to think about this today as this first day of class is the one that will set the tone for the rest of the semester.  It's a long class, four hours long.  Will I be able to keep the energy level up?

In what areas of life are you the boss?  Are you just?  Do you want things done come hell or high water just because that is your will, or do you have mastery over this firey will, channeling it so that it will lead to better outcomes for you and those you are in charge of?

No comments:

Post a Comment