Friday, September 11, 2015

Gimme a break (through)!

Ok, I won't say anything about how the Five of Swords is a perfectly fitting card to go with the theme of   my cards this week -- a inquiry into the balance  between the spiritual and the intellectual.  (But it really is!) 
The number five is said to have a somewhat chaotic nature, a number that sits between the earthly 1-4 and the spiritual 6-10.  The Pope, a figure considered by some to be the intermediary between heaven and earth, is V in the Major Arcana.  In any case, I have been very much in a "five state of mind" lately.  I can't go so far as to say this is negative, though, and in some modern decks this card gets a bum rap.  

I have been intellectually very alert this week, mostly with respect to my investigations of shamanism and other forms of traditional spiritualism, healing, and energies.  At the heart of all this is my need to stay "on guard" against just jumping into some of the older (and newer) forms of spiritualism without bringing my intellect into the discussion.  In this card, the red sword (again, my very passionate intellect) is crossing through the light blue spiritual self, not so much to get rid of it, but to try to find a way to reconcile the two and not see them as competing or as mutually exclusive.  I like that in this deck the red sword can be seen among the light blue weavings on this cards. 

And those flowers, which could indicate the four cardinal points?  Could they be reminding me to look everywhere for my answers and not just in the first convenient place?

How do you balance your spiritual and intellectual sides?  Do you ever feel that the sword of intellect is preventing you from having "buy in" into a spiritual system?   Or does the spiritual overwhelm your intellect, making you follow a teaching, a way, a school, or dogma without questioning it enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment