Monday, September 7, 2015

Just do it? Maybe not.

This morning's card, the Knight of Swords, got me thinking more about my interest in not only shamanism but all the many aspects of spirituality and intuitive-poetic living.  As I was out on a two-hour walk this morning, I realized that this Knight is so full of information for this area of my life.

The very spirited horse reminds me of this inner desire to develop my spiritual sense beyond my current curiosity. (In this and a few other older Italian and French decks, he is light blue, which is for some a color of spirituality.)   The Knight is looking to the left, which could be seen as the past, traditional religions or even the dogma of a guru, a particular school of yoga, a tai chi instructor with a following, etc.  And though the horse is looking that way too, his front feet lifted off the ground tell me he's not just going along with it.  The passitionately red sword of intellect got me thinking about how important it is not to just jump into some aspect of spirituality (and even formal religion) without really paying attention, without using some critical thought. The spaulder on the Knight's shoulder has a face pointing to the right, the future perhaps.  In any case, it tells me to be sure to have another perspective on my spiritual endeavors.  Don't just bite into something hook, line, and sinker.    

I continue to have an intense interest in shamanic practices,  but I have to caution myself to use a rational thought and clear thinking. Before too long, I would like to spend a few months traveling through Central and South America as a physical/spiritual journey.    I do want to meet and learn from shamans, but I know there are a lot of pseudo-shamans out there. And there is always the danger of romanticizing a new spiritual endeavor.  I see that with people who take on Asian practices.  They enjoy the ritual but don't try to apply the teachings in day-to-day life, as if the teachings were "too good" for the mundane parts of life. Or people take on a religion with such passion that they become fanatic about it and lose all compassion.  This Knight seems to be a warning about such.

How can we stay balanced in our pursuit of the spiritual-psychological-poetic journeys?   Do we really remember to keep our minds open and in check with our thought?  



No comments:

Post a Comment